Battletech 20 questions...

Enjoy conversations with Battletech fans. Exchange ideas, ask questions, post new content.

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk, Steve Ronin

ATN082268
BTU Rank
BTU Rank
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:22 pm

Battletech 20 questions...

Post by ATN082268 » Wed May 15, 2013 1:29 pm

Below is an old article I wrote for the Commando Quarterly. I'll have to double check the answer sheet as it may have changed (like #11). Enjoy and take it if you dare :)

1. Can a ’Mech run from a depth 2 water
hex into an adjacent level 0 clear hex?
A. Yes
B. No

2. Can a ’Mech or Infantry/Battlearmor
unit jump within a building?
A. Yes- both ’Mechs and Infantry/
Battlearmor.
B. Yes- just ’Mechs.
C. Yes- just Infantry/Battlearmor.
D. No

3. Is a standing ’Mech with a Jumping MP
of 3 capable of making a jumping
movement from a level 20 building hex
to a level 0 clear hex located 3 hexes
away?
A. Yes
B. No

4. When a ’Mech loses a leg, takes a gyro
hit or leg actuator damage, do all
piloting modifiers apply not only to
avoid falling but also to avoid
MechWarrior damage?
A. Yes.
B. No.

5. If prone ’Mech “A” is in a level 5 hex
and standing ’Mech “B” is 10 hexes
away from ’Mech “A” in a level 0 hex
with an intervening level 6 hex that is
not adjacent to either ’Mech, is there
line of sight between both units?
A. Yes.
B. No.

6. Can a unit fire through up to 2 light
woods or 1 heavy woods and into 1
light or 1 heavy woods?
A. Yes.
B. No.

7. Which has a wider angle, the front
firing arc of a ’Mech or the front
direction of attack against a ’Mech?
A. The front firing arc of a ’Mech.
B. The front direction of attack against
a ’Mech.
C. Neither A or B.

8. Do vehicles have the same front firing
arc as ’Mechs?
A. Yes.
B. No.

9. If ’Mech “A” is in the adjacent level 0
clear hex directly behind ’Mech “B”
which is in a level 0 hex, can ’Mech “B”
torso twist right to fire its right arm
weapons or make a punch attack with
its right arm against ’Mech “A” ?
A. Yes
B. No

10. If a standing ’Mech is on a level 2 hex
and firing at the front of a standing
’Mech in an adjacent level 0 hex, how is
the damage resolved?
A. To front BattleMech punch location table.
B. To front BattleMech kick location table.
C. To front BattleMech hit location table.

11. When artillery damages a Battlearmor
unit, how is the damage resolved?
A. Each member of the Battlearmor unit
takes full artillery damage.
B. Damage from the artillery is allocated
to the unit as a whole.

12. If the side torso of a ’Mech is flooded,
is the corresponding arm affected?
A. Yes
B. No

13. If the side torso of a Quad is destroyed,
are any of its legs affected?
A. Yes. Both legs on the corresponding side.
B. Yes. Just front leg on corresponding side.
C. Yes. Just rear leg on corresponding side.
D. No.

14. If a ’Mech had a MG taking up 1 critical
slot in the side torso at the start of the
weapon attack phase, and that side
torso took 3 critical hits in that weapon
attack phase, how would the critical
hits be resolved?
A. Just the MG would be critically hit.
B. The MG would be critically hit and then
the remaining 2 critical hits would
transfer to the center torso.
C. Neither A or B.

15. If the internal structure of a location is
depleted, are all the slots of an XL
engine in that location also destroyed?
A. Yes.
B. No

16. If the internal structure of a location is
depleted, does ammunition in that
location automatically explode?
A. Yes.
B. No.

17. Can a ’Mech make one kick attack and
two punch attacks in the same turn?
A. Yes.
B. Yes, but only one punch attack with the
one kick attack in the same turn.
C. No.

18. Can ProtoMechs make charge attacks
or be the subject of charge attacks?
A. Yes.
B. No.

19. When using TAG and Semi-Guided
LRMs, after a successful TAG attack
during the off-board attack phase by
the spotter unit, does the unit making
the attack with the LRMs during the
weapon attack phase ignore the target
movement modifiers?
A. Yes.
B. Yes, except the LRM attack is
also made during the Off-Board
Attack Phase.
C. Yes, except the LRM attack does not
ignore target movement modifiers.
D. No.

20. When using a C3 system, does the
firing unit suffer minimum range
penalties?
A. Yes, only from the spotting unit.
B. Yes, only from the firing unit.
C. No.

User avatar
Steve Ronin
BTU Rank
BTU Rank
Posts: 5270
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:40 pm
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: Battletech 20 questions...

Post by Steve Ronin » Wed May 29, 2013 9:36 am

ATN082268 wrote:Below is an old article I wrote for the Commando Quarterly. I'll have to double check the answer sheet as it may have changed (like #11). Enjoy and take it if you dare :)

1. Can a ’Mech run from a depth 2 water
hex into an adjacent level 0 clear hex?
A. Yes
B. No
NO. Units cannot RUN into/thru/out of water hexes. (except hovercraft)
ATN082268 wrote: 2. Can a ’Mech or Infantry/Battlearmor
unit jump within a building?
A. Yes- both ’Mechs and Infantry/
Battlearmor.
B. Yes- just ’Mechs.
C. Yes- just Infantry/Battlearmor.
D. No
A. YES, but Mechs can only do so inside if there is sufficient VERTICAL interior space for their max Jump. A Mech wanting to jump 5 hexes needs 5 levels of vertical height to allow for a jump.
ATN082268 wrote: 3. Is a standing ’Mech with a Jumping MP
of 3 capable of making a jumping
movement from a level 20 building hex
to a level 0 clear hex located 3 hexes
away?
A. Yes
B. No
A. Yes.
ATN082268 wrote: 4. When a ’Mech loses a leg, takes a gyro
hit or leg actuator damage, do all
piloting modifiers apply not only to
avoid falling but also to avoid
MechWarrior damage?
A. Yes.
B. No.
A. Yes. Seatbelt checks can be very hard to make sometimes.

ATN082268 wrote: 5. If prone ’Mech “A” is in a level 5 hex
and standing ’Mech “B” is 10 hexes
away from ’Mech “A” in a level 0 hex
with an intervening level 6 hex that is
not adjacent to either ’Mech, is there
line of sight between both units?
A. Yes.
B. No.
B. Nope.
ATN082268 wrote: 6. Can a unit fire through up to 2 light
woods or 1 heavy woods and into 1
light or 1 heavy woods?
A. Yes.
B. No.
A. Yes, just need to take into account targetting modifiers.
ATN082268 wrote: 7. Which has a wider angle, the front
firing arc of a ’Mech or the front
direction of attack against a ’Mech?
A. The front firing arc of a ’Mech.
B. The front direction of attack against
a ’Mech.
C. Neither A or B.
A. the front arc.
ATN082268 wrote: 8. Do vehicles have the same front firing
arc as ’Mechs?
A. Yes.
B. No.
A. Yes
ATN082268 wrote: 9. If ’Mech “A” is in the adjacent level 0
clear hex directly behind ’Mech “B”
which is in a level 0 hex, can ’Mech “B”
torso twist right to fire its right arm
weapons or make a punch attack with
its right arm against ’Mech “A” ?
A. Yes
B. No
C. NEITHER. Mech A may make RA weapons attacks against Mech B, but cannot make physical attacks.
ATN082268 wrote: 10. If a standing ’Mech is on a level 2 hex
and firing at the front of a standing
’Mech in an adjacent level 0 hex, how is
the damage resolved?
A. To front BattleMech punch location table.
B. To front BattleMech kick location table.
C. To front BattleMech hit location table.
C. Front hit locations.
ATN082268 wrote: 11. When artillery damages a Battlearmor
unit, how is the damage resolved?
A. Each member of the Battlearmor unit
takes full artillery damage.
B. Damage from the artillery is allocated
to the unit as a whole.
B. Splash Damage to Everyone!
ATN082268 wrote: 12. If the side torso of a ’Mech is flooded,
is the corresponding arm affected?
A. Yes
B. No
B. No
ATN082268 wrote: 13. If the side torso of a Quad is destroyed,
are any of its legs affected?
A. Yes. Both legs on the corresponding side.
B. Yes. Just front leg on corresponding side.
C. Yes. Just rear leg on corresponding side.
D. No.
A. both legs (but I'd check the book first: not positive)
ATN082268 wrote: 14. If a ’Mech had a MG taking up 1 critical
slot in the side torso at the start of the
weapon attack phase, and that side
torso took 3 critical hits in that weapon
attack phase, how would the critical
hits be resolved?
A. Just the MG would be critically hit.
B. The MG would be critically hit and then
the remaining 2 critical hits would
transfer to the center torso.
C. Neither A or B.
C. Neither
ATN082268 wrote: 15. If the internal structure of a location is
depleted, are all the slots of an XL
engine in that location also destroyed?
A. Yes.
B. No
A. Yes
ATN082268 wrote: 16. If the internal structure of a location is
depleted, does ammunition in that
location automatically explode?
A. Yes.
B. No.
B. No. Roll for possible crit
ATN082268 wrote: 17. Can a ’Mech make one kick attack and
two punch attacks in the same turn?
A. Yes.
B. Yes, but only one punch attack with the
one kick attack in the same turn.
C. No.
C. NO
ATN082268 wrote: 18. Can ProtoMechs make charge attacks
or be the subject of charge attacks?
A. Yes.
B. No.
ATN082268 wrote: 19. When using TAG and Semi-Guided
LRMs, after a successful TAG attack
during the off-board attack phase by
the spotter unit, does the unit making
the attack with the LRMs during the
weapon attack phase ignore the target
movement modifiers?
A. Yes.
B. Yes, except the LRM attack is
also made during the Off-Board
Attack Phase.
C. Yes, except the LRM attack does not
ignore target movement modifiers.
D. No.
?? Not a Clue. Let me look that one up...
ATN082268 wrote: 20. When using a C3 system, does the
firing unit suffer minimum range
penalties?
A. Yes, only from the spotting unit.
B. Yes, only from the firing unit.
C. No.
B. Yes, from the Firing unit.

Well that was FUN.
Who has the Answer Key?
Image

REPLY to RONIN'S RAMBLINGS HERE

ATN082268
BTU Rank
BTU Rank
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:22 pm

Answer key for Battletech 20 questions...

Post by ATN082268 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:11 am

Answers to 20 Questions:
1. A, 2. D, 3. A, 4. A, 5. B, 6. A, 7. B, 8. A, 9. A, 10. C, 11. A,
12. B, 13. B, 14. A, 15. A, 16. B, 17. C, 18. B, 19. A, 20. B.

Score:
20 Questions answered correctly: Battletech Grand Master.
17-19 Questions answered correctly: Battletech Master.
14-16 Questions answered correctly: Battletech Expert.
11-13 Questions answered correctly: Battletech Veteran.
10 or less Questions answered correctly: Battletech Novice.