What I would do as Battletech Developer...

Enjoy conversations with Battletech fans. Exchange ideas, ask questions, post new content.

Moderators: AVA MANGO TWO, Ravion Hawk, Steve Ronin

ATN082268
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

What I would do as Battletech Developer...

Post by ATN082268 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:20 am

Herb may have “stepped down” as the Battletech line developer roughly two months ago but no one has yet been named to replace him and in a recent post it sounds like he is still running the show, but, if I became the Battletech Line Developer I would:

1. Generally I would not make any radical modifications to the Battletech game line such as a complete reboot. I would not back any products that were likely to lose money such as scenario books, field manuals, etc. even if this meant producing only a partial set. I would ensure that the concentration is on the BattleMech, so I would do stuff like include the old Solaris VII boxed set dueling rules in an appropriate product like the Solaris VII mappack or Tactical Operations. I would establish some official up to date official software for BattleMechs, Vehicles, Infantry/ Battlearmor, Aerospace units and Mobile Structures. I would consider a product called the Ultimate BattleMech, the most comprehensive product on the BattleMech including all the history, construction rules, Mechs produced, etc.

2. I would set up a system where unsolicited ideas could be considered for game material in the Battletech Universe. As it stands now, if you have a great idea, you’re out of luck as no unsolicited ideas are accepted officially. Your only hope now is to post your idea on the internet with the hopes that the Battletech Developer will see it and use it, perhaps with a few tweaks, without giving you credit or compensation.

3. I would ensure that I did not surround myself with “yes men” as their ego boosting would do little good for the game line. I would fully acknowledge that the authority to make a decision is wholly different than the correctness of a decision. If I ever resigned my position of Line Developer, I would tell the loyal Battletech customers why.

Typhoon
BTU Rank
BTU Rank

Re: What I would do as Battletech Developer...

Post by Typhoon » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:52 am

ATN082268 wrote:Herb may have “stepped down” as the Battletech line developer roughly two months ago but no one has yet been named to replace him and in a recent post it sounds like he is still running the show, but, if I became the Battletech Line Developer I would:
It may be he is doing it until a successor is found and named.
ATN082268 wrote:1. Generally I would not make any radical modifications to the Battletech game line such as a complete reboot. I would not back any products that were likely to lose money such as scenario books, field manuals, etc. even if this meant producing only a partial set. I would ensure that the concentration is on the BattleMech, so I would do stuff like include the old Solaris VII boxed set dueling rules in an appropriate product like the Solaris VII mappack or Tactical Operations. I would establish some official up to date official software for BattleMechs, Vehicles, Infantry/ Battlearmor, Aerospace units and Mobile Structures. I would consider a product called the Ultimate BattleMech, the most comprehensive product on the BattleMech including all the history, construction rules, Mechs produced, etc.
Scenario books I can see them going online and not in book form. Field Manuals are what keeps me coming back to BT; those I love and want. I don't think I am alone on that either. TRO's are great and I do love them as books.

Concentrating on the mech is okay but then you exclude a greater part of a military force, vehicles, etc.

"Duelling" rules and scenario books would be much better posted online for download or have a link to get a print copy made if one desires it as a book. Frankly, I think the future is not in paper products for much of the BT line. But there should be a way for us to order printed copies if we desire it.

Yes, I'd agree with the software but it is a tall order with little return from what I remember. I used Heavy Metal Pro to death and loved it; it would be great to see something like it again.
ATN082268 wrote:2. I would set up a system where unsolicited ideas could be considered for game material in the Battletech Universe. As it stands now, if you have a great idea, you’re out of luck as no unsolicited ideas are accepted officially. Your only hope now is to post your idea on the internet with the hopes that the Battletech Developer will see it and use it, perhaps with a few tweaks, without giving you credit or compensation.
I think that was done to cover a legal issue. By not accepting any unsolicited material they may be covering themselves from law suits. Sorry, but this should be kept as is unless there is a way to avoid litigation.
ATN082268 wrote:3. I would ensure that I did not surround myself with “yes men” as their ego boosting would do little good for the game line. I would fully acknowledge that the authority to make a decision is wholly different than the correctness of a decision. If I ever resigned my position of Line Developer, I would tell the loyal Battletech customers why.
Okay sure, but you would also want to avoid the "Naysayers" too.

The reasons for resignation may be private and the person resigning wants to keep them that way. I would prefer to see an eventual announcement but if the reasons are none of my business then I don not need to know and neither do other fans. We only need to know that the person is resigning for "personal reasons" and that a replacement has been found. If the person chooses to give reasons so be it.

I don't know if Herb has resigned or not but he may have continued on until a successor is found and then the announcement will come. Until then, business as usual (hopefully).